The Ottsville Volunteer Fire Company is a 100% Volunteer organization providing 24/7/365 emergency response to portions of Bucks County including Tinicum Township, Nockamixon Township, Bedminster Township, and Haycock Township. We are also ready to respond to any of our neighboring communities to assist in any way we can.
Our firefighters are trained to the highest standards mainly through Bucks County Community College’s Public Safety Training Center, a nationally accredited organization. Based on our training levels, we are a participating department in the Pennsylvania State Fire Academy’s certification program. We are also a certified QRS (Quick Response Service) unit through the PA Department of Health. This program ensures we are qualified and equipped to respond with local ambulance organizations and provide emergency medical services.
The Ottsville Volunteer Fire Company relies almost completely on donations to operate. Fundraising activities such as bingo, roast beef dinners, flower sales, and coin tosses also contribute to the company.
The Ottsville Fire Company was organized in 1940.
The first officers were:
Russ Ferris President
Emerson Jenkins Financial Secretary
Edward Wolfinger Treasurer
George Good Trustee
Walter Somp Fire Chief
The By-Laws of the Fire Company were first drawn up by Emerson Jenkins, Edward Wolfinger, John McCurray, Clarence Kulp, and Sylvester Scheets. The meetings of the company were help on the second floor of Wolfingers Store located on the south side of the Ottsville Inn.
Prior to the forming of the Ottsville Volunteer Fire Company, the Ottsville Area depended on volunteers from Dublin and Plumsteadville Fire Companies for fire protection.
In 1946 the Company rented a small single door garage from Howard Good, which was the first firehouse location. This was located next to the (former) Ottsville Post Office on Durham Road. Land was purchased in 1952, from John and Rose Kolodji, adjoining the rear of the firehouse. In 1957 the second Firehouse was built and dedicated to the community, with a ten-foot right-of-way to gain access to this property.
Property was purchased from the Howard Good estate in 1972 for future expansion. Ten years later on this property, three apartments, storage space, and a garage (original 1946 firehouse) were removed to build the present firehouse. The present firehouse (Station 49) was dedicated in 1983. In 1984, the old firehouse was converted into the Company’s Social Hall. The Social Hall is now rented to residents and organizations for their special events.
The first fire truck, a 1940 Ford 500 GPM Pumper (piston pump), was purchased for $3,883.00 on August 6, 1941. Payments were completed in 1944. Bought as a factory demo, it included 500 feet of 2 ½ “ hose, 300 feet of 1 ½ “ hose and four various hose nozzles.
With a history of sacrifice and service, the Fire-Company has had many important dates to remember in the past fifty years.
1940 – Established and Incorporated
1941 – Purchased 1940 Ford Pumper
1952 – Purchased Land from John and Rose Kolodji for the original Firehouse.
1957 – Dedication of Firehouse (Presently The Social Hall)
1958 – Purchase of Dublin’s 1932 International Fire Truck
1962 – Purchase of Souderton’s 1946 Ford Fire Truck
1964 – Purchase of Bergey and Gehman’s 1957 International Tanker, 1800 gallon.
1966 – Mortgage Burning Ceremony for Firehouse Built in 1957.
1968 – 1967 Ford/Hahn 750 GPM Pumper is put into service.
1969 – Purchase of Midway’s 1948 Dodge Power Wagon Field Truck.
1971 – Voted to use an Indian Head as the Insignia on the Fire Company Shoulder Patch.
1972 – Bought property from Howard Good’s Estate (presently where the new firehouse is built) – Harold Hager resigned as chief after serving for 17 dedicated years.
1973 – 1972 Ford 1000 GPM Pumper built by Welsh Fire Equipment is put into service.
1975 – First Annual Recognition and Appreciation Banquet – Pins for Years of Service first awarded.
1976 – 1972 Ford/Car-Mar 2500 Gallon Tanker put into service.
1980 – Barbara (Kulp) Patterson became Ottsville’s first Female Firefighter.
1982 – 1982 Ford Field Truck is put into service.
1983 – Dedication of new Firehouse (Station 49)
1985 – Bucks County Fire School’s 1959 Dodge Power Wagon Rescue Truck is put into service.
1989 – 1989 Pierce Arrow 1500 GPM Pumper is put into service – purchase of Doylestown’s 1953 Maxim 75-foot Ladder Truck.
1990 – 1990 Peterbuilt/Four Guys 3500 Gallon Tanker is put into service – Proudly Celebrating Ottsville Fire Company’s 50th Anniversary.
Over the past fifty years of service to portions of Tinicum, Nockamixon, Bedminster, and Haycock Townships, the Ottsville Volunteer Fire Company has gone through a great deal of change to meet the ever-growing needs of the community. Since the beginning, the Fire Company has attempted to give the community the protection that continually meets or exceeds their standards. With the growth of the community, the Fire Company has kept their equipment and training up to the highest standards. Over the past years there has been a great deal of change in the community. With these changes, the Fire Company has always held the community and its needs in their thoughts while planning the purchase of new or additional equipment.
During the past fifty years of the Fire Company’s existence, many faithful men and women have contributed a great deal of time and effort to keep the company in operation. The cost of equipment has increased, and through the cooperative effort of the Fire Company and Auxiliary, the Company has been able to raise the funds needed to keep up with the increasing cost of operations. Through the combined effort of funding, the company would like to thank State, County, and Local Governments, and the support of our Community.
The Ottsville Volunteer Fire Company is proud of its accomplishments and professional skills mastered that are necessary in the protection of the people and property of our fine community.
Roger Bahnck Sr.